Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Paul Auster, Invisible, excerpts

I will be robbed of my old age. I try not to feel bitter about it, but sometimes I can't help myself. Life is shit, I know, but the only thing I want is more life, more years on this godforsaken earth.

Deere Mom Ime in the lake Lov Andy

You take her in your arms and whisper: I don't want to go. You say it again I don't want to go. And then you step back from her, put your head down, and go.

Unbidden, a forgotten verse from Ecclesiastes comes roaring into his consciousness. And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly... As he jots down the words in the right-hand margin of his poem, he wonders if this isn't the truest thing he has written about himself in months. The words may not be his own, but he feels that they belong to him.

For the next three days, he steadfastly adheres to this regimen of silence. He sees no one, talks to no one, and bit by bit he begins to feel somewhat stronger in his loneliness, as if the stringencies he has forced upon himself have ennobled him in some way, reacquainting him with the person he once imagined himself to be.

~ Paul Auster, From: Invisible

No comments:

Post a Comment